DevOps Tools - Confluence
What is Confluence?
Confluence is Atlassian's content collaboration tool used to help teams collaborate and share knowledge efficiently. In Confluence, content is created and organized using spaces, pages, and blogs. Confluence's collaboration tools allow users to write, edit, comment and get work done together within the Confluence interface. Users can display a variety of content types thanks to Confluence's rich text editor, and an array of accepted attachment file types. Permissions and Restrictions all users to control the visibility of Confluence content at the Space or Page level, so only the right people have access to the right information. Confluence has also been designed to prevent duplicates, and display only the latest information.
While Confluence can be tailored to any type of need, a number of use cases have been documented below, such as using Confluence as a knowledge base or intranet.
For example, users can create roadmaps, create notes containing checklists, create blog posts and centralize content in one place.
It's easy to organize content using templates for unified user experience, labels for content management, and create spaces for different types of documentation.
Users can also be provided with personal spaces, where they can create personal documentation and pages, view their tasks, and view pages they’ve saved for later.
- Confluence is a powerful collaborative editor as it gives you the power to create meeting notes, project plans, product requirements, at the same time as other users are editing and see all the changes at once.
- Accelerated feedback loop with inline comments on pages and files attached.
- Ready-made solutions for your daily documentation needs with Blueprints & Templates.
- Edit attached files with the apps on your desktop (Cloud only) : It lets you open files stored in Confluence with your desktop apps and edit them, then automatically re-uploads the updated version to Confluence. Now you can get feedback on that preso, edit it in Powerpoint, and have it back on Confluence in no time.
- Can provide feedback directly on your files (images, PDFs, spreadsheets, and presentations) and it keeps tracks of versions automatically, so you're always working on the right one.
- Collaborate from anywhere: You can sync your confluence with your iOS or Android device and work from anywhere. You can track team activity, give feedback, and stay in sync between mobile and desktop.
- Organized workspaces: In Confluence, you can create a space for every team, department, or major project to share information and keep work organized.
- Page and file versioning: You can track every version and change that you make to a page. Files are automatically versioned.
- Blogs and discussions: You can share news and announcements across your company, and have active discussions with comments, @mentions and likes.
- Best practice templates: Confluence includes best practice templates to help you get started with popular pages, to avoid fuss with formatting.
- A variety of methods to share your confluence content: You can ‘subscribe’ to content changes via email notifications or RSS, email a page directly to users, and blogs for individuals and teams.
- Granular permission controls: restricts content access at three levels – Global, Space and per individual Page.
- Also includes rich text editor with attachment drag and drop, deep Microsoft Office integration, keyboard shortcuts and rich content embedding.
- Flexibility: Hundreds of extensions and integrations with third party applications via Atlassian marketplace. If a feature isn’t native to Confluence, it may likely already available via plugin, or can be developed via our API
- Support to work with many file types so that you can work with any of your files in Google Drive in Confluence as well. Atlassian offers a number of add-ons to integrate two products. List of add-ons is listed here.
- Quick search tips and a couple of ways to search documentation and to find what you are looking for in Confluence.
- Rich JIRA integration
- Enterprise level support: Each Server commercial license includes 12 months support from Atlassian technical support team. Cloud and Data Center subscription includes support at all times while your subscription is active.
- Each Server commercial license includes full source code access.
Using Confluence with Jira Software
Confluence and Jira were designed to complement each other, and have a number of integration points built-in, giving Confluence users the ability to view, interact with, and reference Jira issues from a Confluence page. Confluence would be used for project collaboration, functional specification gathering, project discussion while viewing Jira issues or creating new ones without ever leaving Confluence.
Select the language of your preference